Monday, 16 April 2007

Matt Manfield Babies

MIRACLES COME IN TWOS ~ Former AFL player for Fitzroy, Richmond and Collingwood teams Matt Manfield and his wife Jodi have welcomed twin girls seven weeks premature on January 7th, 2007. Tillie and Maisie are a miracle for the couple. The couple tried not only unsuccessfully to have children but Matt was diagnosed with cancer. “The doctor just said, ‘There’s no easy way to tell you this, but you’ve got cancer.’ I don’t smoke, I don’t drink much, and with all the sport I was playing I thought, ‘How could this happen?’ The rest of the day was just a blur, then I thought, ‘It’s another challenge. What do we do now?’ Matt underwent successful surgery which removed the tumour and was given the news that he was all-clear after undergoing three weeks of intensive radiotherapy. The couple began IVF treatments five months later. “We had to put it on hold until the radiation was out of my body.”

Jodi was told the fantastic news when Matt was playing footy; “We found out on a Saturday, Matthew was about to go on the field and I got the call. I was thrilled. It didn’t really sink in for a couple of days.”

On the babies delivery; “They were pretty small when they were born, and in hospital for about four weeks, but everything went well. You get a lot of kicks in the guts and bad things happen, but then some good luck happens.”

Source: Australian Woman’s Day, April 16 2007 issue, page 38.

Tillie ~ English; battle strength. Abbreviation of Mathilda.

Maisie ~ English/Scottish; pearl. Abbreviation of Margaret.

No comments: